Thursday, May 20, 2010

Summer's Arrival, Students' Departure

While almost everyone in school is aching for summer break and the end of classes, this time of year also has a sad side. Although graduation is a celebration and a joyous landmark event, it is also a good-bye. With very few exceptions, I don’t want to let go of my students.

This year, I have a dynamic Freshman English class. Although it would be wonderful to stay together for Sophomore English, it is not possible. Yes, I have taught Sophomore English as recently as last year. However, all my freshmen are not all taking the same variety of Sophomore English. They are signing up for specialized classes that make each of their schedules unique. Whatever period we put our “year two” class, it would not work for some of them.

Yet, I will see them in the halls. Some may become involved with the club that I sponsor. Some will be back in my class later in their high school careers. It is only an ending for this group.

With seniors, the departure is far more real and, in a vast majority of the cases, permanent. I tell my seniors that I expect them to come and visit me and let me know about their college progress. I ask them to help advise my new seniors on the Senior-Alumni Dialogue page on Facebook. After class ends, but before graduation, I send them an email congratulating them and leaving the metaphoric door open.

I wrote them a letter on their first day of class, so it is fitting to send them a letter as they finish their time in high school. I tell them, “I have great faith that you are ready for the challenges that lie ahead. Some of these may seem daunting but I fervently believe that you have the capacity to meet the future with intelligence, humility and compassion.” The letter goes on to remind them about some of the skills we studied together and the values that drove them.

The rest of the letter is a thank you note: “I don’t think you, my students, realize the remarkable impact you have on me. People often talk about special teachers who touched their lives. We remember them and honor their influence. What you may not realize is that students are just as critical in the shaping of teachers. Teachers carry the lessons they learn from students from class to class and year to year. How I interacted with you, just a few years or days ago, changed me. Likewise, my classes next year will color my future decisions. When I make these choices, I think of the students who taught me how to be a better teacher. To a great degree, my past students have made me the teacher I am. I will think of you as I return to those lessons we shared. You may be graduating, but I will carry you into next year’s class and all the classes that follow. Thus, I want to say thank you; thank you for all you have taught me. If I am a “decent” teacher, it is due, in large measure, to you, the fantastic students with whom I have studied. You have generously and unselfishly taught me what it means to learn and study. Every day, every semester, year after year you are with me and I am eternally grateful.”

While I hope that each student will stay in touch with me, I know this is my last contact for a vast majority. However, a part of them will be with me in class. And when I see them again, it will be an opportunity to tell them, “I was just thinking of you!”

No comments: