Friday, February 14, 2014

I ❤ Science Fiction


I was introduced to science fiction in Sunday School. Yes, religious school! I attended a Humanistic Jewish Sunday School (now called Kol Hadash) and my teacher used Star Trek to teach values, decision-making, and the power of human beings. I remember debating Captain Kirk’s choice to destroy the “god” Val in the episode, “The Apple.” Another teacher used the short stories of Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. to teach similar lessons. I was hooked.  I had always been a reader, but now I devoured science fiction short stories, novels, television shows, and movies.

I didn’t know many other people who shared my interest. I found fan groups and subscribed to a few publications, but that wasn’t the same as having real people with whom to discuss my passion.

In high school, I joined a fan organization called Star Fleet and started a chapter. While my group had few meetings, I developed pen pal relationships as we created a very amateurish fanzine.

At the end of my high school career (when I could take the car for longer journeys on my own), I discovered science fiction conventions. For a few years, I even had the courage to drive to a convention in St. Louis each year. I made friends whom I only saw at these cons.

I wandered into the student union during my first week of college, and asked if there were any science fiction groups on campus, “Oh,” the bored person behind the desk yawned, “you mean the Galaxy Rangers.” I winced at the name, but answered, “Yes, I guess I do.” The Galaxy Rangers turned out to be a social group that met every Tuesday night. They became my lifelong friends.

After college, as the Galaxy Rangers grew up, conventions served a double purpose. They were a celebration of SF of course, but they were also reunions. There was always a Saturday night dinner with the Rangers at a con, and plenty of catching up time. Eventually, we only saw each other at conventions.

The Galaxy Rangers got married and had children. We bought homes. Getting to conventions became more of a luxury. Real life got in the way of my SF habit. I was working hard at my “real” job, and it was all I could do to read an SF book here and there and get to the Saturday of a convention.

A few years ago, I went to a book club meeting at one of the local SF conventions. The discussion was lively and the group warm and open. I joined the book club, and I have participated every since. Now, I have another group with whom to explore this wonderful passion.

And then, one year ago, a friend invited me to work on one of the local fan-run conventions, CapriconHesitantly, I said, “yes.” My wife asked when I would have the time to do this, and I quickly quit one of my many work committees!

While I cannot say that I was a huge help with this year’s convention, I learned even more about the magnificent SF fan community. I got a peak backstage at a con, and it further reinforced my deep connection to the world of science fiction fandom.

And let’s be candid: we science fiction fans can be a lonely bunch. Don’t jump to stereotypes. Don’t play the “get a life” card. They are an accepting, welcoming, and interesting group of people.


It is so important to be connected to strong and healthy communities. Whether this is through participation on a sports team, performing group, or religious organization, these communities keep us grounded and connected. I am so lucky to have fallen in love with science fiction and its fantastic fans. 

No comments: