Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Homecoming Ghosts: The October 13th Crash Ten Years Later

I see ghosts in the halls of my high school. Most of the time, they are ghosts of the living. I look down the hall and say, “there’s Sarah!” And then I remember that Sarah graduated.  She is at college or medical school or married and living in Los Angeles. That isn’t Sarah at all, but a student who reminds me of her. I turn a corner and remember how Kevin made me laugh as he imitated a teacher’s walk down the hallway. Several times a day, I am reminded of students from two or twelve or twenty-five years ago. They may have graduated, but they are still with me.

Some will never come home. There is an area in the front of the school with plaques dedicated to students who have died. I pass it several times a day and, each time, I mourn them. Sometimes, if it has been a particularly difficult day, I avoid that hall.

Most of my time, of course, is devoted to the students in front of me. My memories are fleeting, but my classes are not. I silently wish for my students what I wish for my own two children. Even after my students have left my classroom, our school, and moved away from our community, I want to remind them that they matter: that I remember them, and I am waiting for them to come home and tell their stories. I don’t tell them that I will probably “see” them in the hall anyway.

Ten years ago, on homecoming weekend, a car carrying several students sped past my home. A roaring engine awakened me briefly. The kids had been to a party, left, and were returning. They were intoxicated and collided with a tree at high speed. The driver and the young man sitting behind him were killed.

I go past the site of this crash daily. There is no plaque or memorial. The sign used to say, “Dead End.” Now it reads, “No Outlet.”

Taking a different route or changing the sign doesn’t change the past. There was a great deal of blaming and finger pointing after the crash. Lawsuits, criminal charges, and media coverage diverted our attention for a while. New parent groups were created. New legislation was passed that held parents more accountable for parties in their homes.

Then everyone moved on. Too many other young people died in the intervening years, some shortly after and some only a few weeks ago. Some due to the awful randomness of medical misfortune, others as a result of drugs and alcohol.

They haunt me.

A recent survey suggests that we are making some progress in the prevention and treatment of teenage substance abuse. I am eager to believe that such surveys give us useful, albeit incomplete, information. We need to act on that information.  

What has changed in the ten years since two boys died at the end of my street?  What must we do differently after students die from overdoses, are killed in parking lots, take their own lives, or die suspiciously?

Almost thirty years ago, it was funny when Julie Brown sang that the homecoming queen’s got a gun. The song is grotesque in a post-Columbine world. It is more that not funny; it feels horribly prophetic and wrong.

Seven years ago, I wrote that I was remembering but not surrendering. Times change, but the legacy of that horrible homecoming continues to haunt me. I remember students who struggled and succeeded. I remember students who graduated hoping for success later. Many found it. Some come home and talk about their journeys. The kids who never got a chance to grow up are still with me in the halls of our high school.

Some I can only hold in my heart and memories. They join my classes. I see them in the halls. They remind me that the important lessons go far beyond reading, writing, and preparing for college. They urge me to reach out to every student and make sure they know how much they mean to all of us: to do whatever I can to make sure that every child comes home.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This made me cry. Too many of my youngest daughter's peers are ghosts in your hallways. Beautifully written, and so true. Thank you for the love you show to your students.

Hilary said...

I continue to he dumbfounded at the parents who purposely provide alcohol in their homes to minors. Excellent commentary, here, on how haunting this is, even as the community moves on. Important reminder. I know that wall of plaques very well, unfortunately.

Unknown said...

I appreciate your reflection so much. Glad I stumbled upon this. Reminds me of the importance and necessity of connecting in the real world.

Unknown said...

I appreciate your reflection so much and remember that time as well. I'm glad I stumbled upon this today. It reminded me of the importance of connecting in the real world.

Judie and John said...

Beautiful, David! I remember that day all too well.

Anonymous said...

Wow! As a current senior, who knows these dangerous substances exist around me, this is very powerful! Well written.

Unknown said...

As someone who grew up playing with Ross trace and then losing touch as we got older, this news was devastating! I heard this awful news and go past this spot often and wonder how different things could've been. That could have just as easily been me, i was a young partier and lost many friends at a young age. Honestly if i could say one thing to the high school student who thinks that partying makes you popular or cool, it doesn't matter. Once you get out of high school people move on and out, and people forget, and don't care about who was "cool"&"popular" in high school. It may seem like something that is important now, but the most important thing should be trying to figure out what your passionate about because being passionate about drugs and alcohol gets you nowhere good, it makes you do things you never thought you would, it's expensive and it just makes life a heck of a lot harder! I am 26 years old, i graduated in 2008 i was an amazing soccer player, i played on a college team when i was 13 but then got into high school and started messing up and drinking and smoking and have been through so much crap because of decisions i made when i was in high school including jail and being in awful uncomfortable situations that i wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy. I'm just now starting to figure out what I'm passionate about and what i want to do while most of my friends already have degrees and good jobs and some have families. It has severely held me back and if i can change one young persons mind about picking up substances, I'll feel like i accomplished something. There's a time and a place for experimenting if you have to, and high school is not it. Wait until you're truly old enough to understand the severity of you're decisions. Please i beg of you, don't become a statistic, become a role model it's a much more rewarding life!