Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Cherishing the Science Fiction Fan Community at Chicon 8: The 80th World Science Fiction Convention

Over Labor Day weekend, I attended the Eightieth Annual World Science Fiction Convention at the Hyatt Regency in downtown Chicago: Chicon 8. It was a spectacular and enormous celebration of the genres I adore. It also celebrated the community of fans who have been gathering this way for decades. While there was a world convention in D.C. last December and a virtual one the year before that, this was the first time this number of fans had gathered in person at this scale. I am so grateful to have been able to be a part of it – and it has made me even more appreciative of the people who did the real heavy lifting that made it happen. 

I have been to many fan conventions. If you want to explore the difference between a fan con and something like Comic Con, click here. However, This was my first time being closely involved in the planning of a convention like this. I was involved for more than three years supporting those who were doing the real work of setting up this convention. Then, about a year ago, I got a job working on the con.   

My role for this convention was to reach out to local people, groups, businesses, and others and help them get involved in the convention. I talked to libraries, museums, bookstores, game stores, fan groups, meet-up groups, businesses, magazines, other conventions, media, and anything other organization I could think of. I asked them to be presenters, bring exhibits, participate in our art show, place ads in our program book, or be involved in many other ways. This was a local special opportunity; it has been a decade since the World Convention has been in Chicago and no one knows when it will return.

I sent out reminders as various deadlines approached, “Only one week more to be a program participant, two weeks to sign up for a fan table” – and so on. This meant that, as the convention drew near, my workload decreased as these dates passed. 

So before the convention, I responded to an email calling for volunteer help. I ended up working in the program operations office and assisting with the masquerade. 

It was wonderful! Whether I was helping put up signs, letting panelists know they need to finish in a few minutes, answering questions, directing people to rooms, or shepherding costume contestants through the stages of being judged, there was one clear common detonator: shared joy. 

On Sunday night, I attended the Hugo Awards presentation. It is like the Academy Awards – only geeky! As I listened to the winners’ acceptance speeches, I gloried in the company of this remarkable fan community. We bond over ideas, words, concepts, and stories. We are interested in how science and the arts intersect. We are an inclusive, diverse, and welcoming community to anyone who wants to join us – for the most part. No community is without areas for growth. 

I attended many panels over the course of the convention weekend. These panels’ topics ranged from Star Trek to banning books to teaching science fiction and fantasy to racism and bias in the genre. I discovered new books, shows, and movies and learned new ideas about those I was already reading and viewing. I also connected to new people from whom I could learn. 

Thank you to this year’s con chair Helen Montgomery and the many people who played Atlas through the five days of the convention. Thank you to fans who traveled from all over the world to join the celebration. Thank you to the volunteers, speakers, artists, musicians, costumers, authors, creators, and everyone else who lent their energy, creativity, money, and time to this wonderful enterprise. (Yeah, I just did that). 

I have enjoyed these conventions and the people who attend them for years. Now that I have the time, volunteering has deepened my appreciation and commitment to them. 

Thank you to the entire community of Chicon 8, the World Science Fiction Society, and everyone who participated in any way. I’ll see you at a convention soon – where I intend to raise my hand and help! 

By the way, we have two wonderful local conventions in the Chicago area: Windycon is November 11 to 13, 2022 and Capricon is February 2 to 5, 2023! 

No comments: