Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Reading For Treasure: An Introduction


I read a lot. I read novels, articles, short stories and much more. Now that I am retired, I am reading even more.

For many years, I have been almost addicted to my RSS feed and my digital reading storage app, Instapaper. My RSS feed is a collection of website articles delivered via a system called Real Simple Subscription through an app that collects these feeds into a kind of personalized newspaper. I use the app Feedly. I don’t read every article on every website that I follow. Some articles I read right away. Some, I save for later using an app called Instapaper that stores them.

Often, I see an article I want to share with someone. Perhaps it would be helpful to one of my children, my parents, or someone with whom I used to teach. I had a folder of articles I would share with my students. Occasionally, I post an article on Facebook because I think it merits the attention of my friends.

Now that I am retired, I keep noting articles to share with my former colleagues. However, I can’t keep emailing them. I don’t want to be a nuisance. I used to get annoyed when friends would “spam” me by sending various internet clippings via email. I don’t want to be that guy.

Yet, like this blog, I want to share these wonderful written treasures. They may not be treasures for everyone, yet, they may be helpful, amusing, or stimulating to a reader somewhere. They may be valuable to someone out there.

So, my blog readers, I am going to return to my English teacher habits and articles you might care to read. Once in a while (perhaps once a month, but that is a goal to which I will not yet commit), I will create a curated list of articles with brief descriptions. This can be a miniature version of an RSS feed.

Looking for a quick read? Look here! No time to find a good piece to read? See what I am recommending. Free moment in the waiting room? Need a good conversation starter? Need a good piece for your students?

Read on!

No comments: